Friday, April 5, 2013

A Metamorphic Cliché of Sorts

For the past couple of weeks, I have been preparing for a big move. Across the country, in fact. Tomorrow afternoon, I fly out to the Pacific Northwest for my first three-month co-op job on Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School. I've never lived that far away from home before, or for that long of time. To describe myself as "nervous" would be a bit of an understatement...

It has begun to dawn on me how intimidated I feel about the world and all of its places. There is not much I know beyond my white, middle class walls. This fact really started to creep through my thoughts this afternoon. My mom, brother Aaron, and I took an afternoon to visit the Franklin Park Conservatory to get a peek at the butterfly exhibit. The Conservatory is a favorite place of many in Columbus; one can come any day, no matter the weather, and experience a variety of indoor simulated climates and beautiful plant life. Every spring, the Conservatory releases an array of butterfly specimen to live amongst the plants and show off their beautiful transformations to the public.

As the butterflies fluttered around my head and through the tropical plants, I began to think about them...each one of those strong, stunning butterflies came from small and seemingly insignificant caterpillars. It was a natural process, for the caterpillar to build its cocoon and go through its dramatic metamorphosis.

It reminded me of my recent development and changes that I've experienced at Antioch in the past six months. In that time, I have learned how to pull away from many comfort zones; how to approach intimidating situations and people who don't share my perspective; how to build confidence to speak out about injustice in the world.

Sets up the perfect cliché metaphor, right?

Truly though, for the first time, this coddled caterpillar is flying from the cocoon of Columbus and Yellow Springs, Ohio, to embrace the world in her new form. She may not feel she is ready, much like some of the caterpillars might feel, but she knows it has to happen at some point. In fact, it is happening now.


Hello, Port Hadlock and Port Townsend, Washington. Thank you for providing a habitat for this new butterfly during the next three months.

3 comments:

  1. Just remember that you've been to France, gotten yourself around Paris on your own, and at least everything in Washington will be in English. You've totally got this (and next step is studying abroad, right?)

    Traveling and spending a lot of time in different places is essential to growing as a person and so important. I'm proud of you Elaine! Bon courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can and will do this, Elaine! We're very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly, Elaine, fly! We are all living through this with you vicariously. Lucky for you it's such a beautiful part of the country and lucky for us that we get to share it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete